14 January 2011

Where are you chook?

I had a tiny craving for "Ayam Garam Kunyit" aka fried chicken with tumeric and salt.  I still can taste the deep fried chicken at the Nasi Campur stalls, or even better at the Indian curry house where food are served on banana leaf in Malaysia.

I read that tumeric is natural detoxifier for liver and prevent cancer.  I also vaguely remembered my ex-flatmate in the college used tumeric powder on her skin as it is said to smooth her skin.  So, needless to say, after the alcohol intake over Christmas and New Year, any detoxifier seems to be a good idea.

Thank you to a dear aunt who shared this recipe by going bla bla bla, add this add that... and here is the final product....




Strangely enough, it was amazingly easy to prepare.  The tedious part is frying the chookie chook.  I could have done this on bbq or the oven....but unhealthy deep fried stuff is usually sinfully good! We had a wee technical problem here, my pots are only around 20cm wide, and my wok wont fit the side burner.  But when there is a will, there is a way...do them in small batches and hey presto!  They turned out ok dont they?


I  mixed 3 teaspoons of tumeric powder with 1.5teaspoon of salt with 3 tablespoon of water, plus 1 shallot and 2 cloves of garlic crushed together.  Add this to one chicken (approx 2kg) that has been skinned and boned and cut into serving sizes.  Marinate overnight for best result.  Then deep fry them.  How much easier can this get?  Give it a try and let me know what you think? 

I also did another batch by adding 1 teaspoon of curry powder to half the the portion above.  It has different texture, and the colour was slightly brighter.  I am looking forward to lunch when we go back to work next week

13 comments:

Reanaclaire said...

hey, that looks good! coming by for the first time, I think.. hahaha..

Lee said...

Hi, that tumeric chick sure looks good. I love that.
And yes, tumeric has many health benefits and cures too.
Looks like you have a black belt in cooking.
Have fun and keep a song in your heart. Best regards.
Lee.

suituapui said...

Yummmmm!!! Looks yummy! Try baking in an oven - I do that these days to cut down on the oil. Nice also.

suituapui said...

Yummmm....looks good! Yes, tumeric, lemon grass and the like are all good for health. But all that oil! Try baking/grilling in the oven - just as nice minus the oil.

Health Freak Mommy said...

That's my all-time favorite too! Another healthier version is you fry the chopped turmeric with shallots, then add in the chicken and stir fry for another 15-20minutes. That's less oily and very yummy too. That's a very popular confinement food and another of my all-time favorite.

PH said...

Wanna try another version of "kay garam kunyit"? Will post that after the MFF TGG. Oi, why so long never update your blog?

Health Freak Mommy said...

I was salivating as I read your post! Do you recycle the oil? Quite sayang to pour away the oil huh?

Quay Po Cooks said...

I am sold!! Will try this soon!

Amy said...

Oh my...I can use some fried chicken any time of the day! :P Yours look perfectly crisp. Now, I'm craving for some!

Sasha Tan said...

ohhhh yummy!

Princess Ribbon said...

Hiya dear.. Hopping over to your blog at this time after Kenzie is asleep.. Your fried chicken looks good.. Fried chicken can never go wrong, with that crispy skin, oh my !! Here I call it "wong keong fun zha gai".. I can have like 4-5 pieces! No joke !

Pssst, thanks for dropping by..

Cathleen said...

This looks super tasty!

SuperWeightKoalabear said...

looks good! bubu would be happily gnawing on the tips of the wings...